David Ortiz threatens to ‘move on’ if he doesn’t get multiyear deal with Red Sox

Posted Jan. 27, 2014, at 8:54 p.m.
Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz reacts after scoring in the fourth inning against the St. Louis Cardinals during game six of the World Series at Fenway Park in October. Ortiz is seeking a multiyear deal with the Red Sox.
Robert Deutsch | USA Today Sports
Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz reacts after scoring in the fourth inning against the St. Louis Cardinals during game six of the World Series at Fenway Park in October. Ortiz is seeking a multiyear deal with the Red Sox.

Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz told Boston’s CBS television affiliate Sunday night that he will “move on” if he is not offered a multiyear deal from the team.

Ortiz, 38, earned World Series MVP honors after the Red Sox won their third title in 10 years.

Ortiz was nonspecific when asked how long he plans to play.

“It can be two years, it can be three years, it can be 10 years. You never know,” he said.

Ortiz has one year left on the two-year extension he signed a year ago. He has played with the Red Sox for 11 years. He indicated that he would like to retire with them.

“Hey, I would like to,” he said. “I’m having fun. It’s been a hell of a ride as long as I’ve been here.

“But as I always keep on telling people, this is a business. Sometimes you’ve got to do what’s best for you and your family.

“As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep doing what I’m supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I’m going to be there. Hopefully, I won’t have to go and wear another uniform.”

But that could change if the team does not offer him a long-term deal.

“Time to move on,” Ortiz said.

As long as he can effectively hit, he plans to keep playing, even if that means with another team.

“I haven’t seen it but if I have to, I’ve got no choice, I’m not going to quit,” Ortiz said. “As long as I keep hitting the ball the way I have, I’ve got to keep on giving it a try.”

Ortiz signed a four-year, $52 million contract before the 2007 season and the team picked up his $12.5 million option for 2011. He then signed a $14.575 million deal for the 2012 season.

Not wanting another one-year deal, he signed a two-year, $26 million contract in 2013.

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington has said there are no pending negotiations with Ortiz and the matter is not urgent.

Ortiz had 30 home runs, drove in 103 runs and went over the 2,000-hit mark last year. It was the first time he reached 30 homers and 100 RBIs since 2010.

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports