Fire damages Camden home

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 24, 2014, at 9:28 a.m.

CAMDEN, Maine — A Grove Street home was damaged Thursday by a fire that is blamed on a wood stove that was left unattended.

There were no injuries from the fire that was fought by four local departments.

The fire was reported shortly before 1 p.m. by a neighbor, Camden Fire Chief Chris Farley said. He said the neighbor saw what she thought at first was snow swirling outside the home at 8 Grove St. The woman, however, took a second look and realized it was smoke coming from the basement of the home — lived in and owned by Linda and Martin Zeigler.

The neighbor called 911 and when crews arrived they found that the fire had started in the crawl space in an addition at the back of the home. Firefighters believe the fire was caused by a wood stove that was left burning unattended.

There was damage to the crawl space and the rooms immediately above it, the chief said. There was heat and smoke damage to the kitchen and smoke damage in the remainder of the home, the chief said.

Rockport, Lincolnville and Hope firefighters also assisted Camden. Crews were at the scene for three hours.

The Zeiglers were not at home at the time of the fire.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/24/news/midcoast/fire-damages-camden-home/ printed on December 20, 2014