BANGOR, Maine — A natural gas leak caused quite a stench along Maine Avenue for about an hour on Friday morning.
Bangor firefighters were dispatched to a compressed natural gas station on Maine Avenue after a pressure relief valve leaked shortly before 8 a.m., Fire Chief Scott Lucas said at the scene.
“One of the tanks just became overpressurized,” said Lucas.
The natural gas station is owned by Global CNG. According to a statement from the company, a valve failed to close while a trailer was being filled. The relief valve protecting the system then opened as designed, releasing a small amount of gas.
Firefighters were able to rectify the problem in about half an hour, according to Lucas.
Lucas said the public was never in any danger.
According to Global, the affected portion of the substation has been taken off line until the faulty valve is replaced. The substation is designed to fill trailers with compressed natural gas for delivery to commercial and industrial customers who don’t have access to a gas pipeline.
Bangor Gas officials, who work at a nearby facility, assisted at the scene.