May 23, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Teens crash into elderly drivers in two separate Kennebunk incidents

By Jennifer Feals, York County Coast Star

KENNEBUNK, Maine — Traffic in downtown Kennebunk snarled Thursday afternoon and another road closed due to separate afternoon accidents.

Mill Street was shut down just before noon due to a two-car, head-on accident. Kennebunk police Lt. Tony Bean Burpee said a 1999 Toyota Corolla, driven by a 16-year-old juvenile from Arundel, was travelling north on Mill Street, towards Alfred Road, when it crossed the center line, colliding with a 2012 Toyota Prius driven by Douglas Grearson, 80, of Kennebunk.

Four other juveniles, all students at Kennebunk High School, were passengers in the vehicle, Bean Burpee said. One was transported to Southern Maine Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, he said.

Grearson’s wife, Arlynne, 82, a passenger in his vehicle, was also transported to Southern Maine Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, he said.

The 16-year-old driver, who was driving with an interim license, will be cited for a license restriction violation for transporting other juveniles, Bean Burpee said. Under an interim license, a juvenile driver may only transport family members for 270 days, he said. The violation carries a $370 fine.

Bean Burpee said the driver admitted speed was a factor in the crash.

Mill Street was closed for over an hour as the vehicles were towed from the scene and fluids that had leaked onto the roadway were cleaned up.

At about 12:30 p.m. emergency crews responded to a second accident at the intersection of Storer and Main streets, in downtown Kennebunk, also involving two vehicles.

Bean Burpee said Christopher M. Broadhead, 18, of Kennebunkport, also a student at Kennebunk High School, was driving a 1999 Nissan Ultima south through the intersection on Route 1 when a 2006 Subaru Forester driven by 90-year-old Lois E. Litz of Kennebunk turned in front of him.

Air bags were deployed and both cars were towed from the scene but neither driver was transported to the hospital.

Both accident scenes have since been cleared, allowing traffic to return to normal.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like