June 22, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

University of Southern Maine standoff resolved after student barricaded himself in Sigma Nu fraternity house

Justicia Barreiros | The Free Press
Justicia Barreiros | The Free Press
Police have stopped traffic through Gorham Village as they attempt to talk down a Sigma Nu fraternity brother at their house at 124 School St.
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

GORHAM, Maine — An armed standoff at a University of Southern Maine fraternity house resolved peacefully late Wednesday night, according to a statement on the university’s website.

Gorham police Lt. Chris Sanborn was in charge of the effort to bring the standoff to a peaceful conclusion, said USM spokeswoman Judie O’Malley.

The incident was reported about 8 p.m., according to Robert Caswell, executive director of public affairs at USM. Caswell said a USM police dispatcher confirmed that a university student who is a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity was armed with a loaded handgun and had barricaded himself in a room in the off-campus fraternity’s house in downtown Gorham.

In an update issued at 9:30 p.m., O’Malley said that all other Sigma Nu brothers and two guests were out of the house and that the brother who locked himself in his room with the firearm had been belligerent to his fraternity brothers before the incident. No injuries were reported.

USM’s student newspaper, The Free Press, reported that SWAT vehicles had arrived on the scene at 9:55 p.m.

“I don’t know what progress has been made, but the situation is under control, if such a situation can be,” Caswell told The Free Press shortly after 10:30 p.m.

USM announced that standoff had ended about about 11:40 p.m.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly said the standoff was resolved "last Wednesday night." The incident ended late Wednesday night.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like