LINCOLN, Maine — Police have formally closed their investigation into the pellet-gun shooting of a 15-year-old boy last week by declaring Monday that the teenage boy who fired the projectile will not be charged.
Lincoln police Officer John Walsh closed his investigation on Friday by recommending that no charges be sought, a recommendation that Public Safety Director Dan Summers has accepted, Summers said Monday.
“It is one of those types of things where anything like this could happen to anybody. It wasn’t a situation where a person should have known better,” Summers said Monday. “Accidents do happen and sometimes it doesn’t fall under the reckless category.”
The victim, 15-year-old Deven Rollins, was accidentally hit in the eye on Jan. 11 by a 14-year-old boy who was target-shooting at cans at a West Broadway address. The pellet ricocheted off ice and hit Rollins, police have said. The name of the boy who fired the gun is not being released because he is a juvenile.
Rollins suffered significant damage to his left eye and must wait about 30 days before doctors can tell whether sight can be restored, according to Chris Stevens, the injured boy’s stepfather.
Police found the 14-year-old did not intend to harm the other teen. Among the factors police considered is whether charging the boy would do any good. It wouldn’t, Summers said.
“He is destroyed by this,” Summers said. “This is something that he will probably always remember and he will pass along to his kids: This is what could happen when you are carrying a weapon.”
Rollins and his family forgave the boy, a family friend, for the accident, Stevens said last week.
“It was a freak thing that it would hit him like that,” Stevens said.