May 28, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | George HW Bush | Memorial Day | Long Creek

Attic fire damages uninsured Brunswick home

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff

BRUNSWICK, Maine — A fire Tuesday night in the attic of a Bay Bridge Road home in Brunswick caused at least $50,000 damage to the uninsured property, officials say.

Brunswick firefighters responded at 7:45 p.m. Tuesday for a report of an attic fire in a home at 78 Bay Bridge Road. Upon arrival, they found smoke in the attic, Deputy Chief Don Koslosky of the Brunswick Fire Department said at the scene.

The single-story home is owned by Alan and Clevette Barry, according to Brunswick Police Capt. Mark Waltz.

Alan Barry told firefighters that he discovered he needed a new circuit breaker, and when he returned from the store, he found smoke coming from the attic, according to Capt. Steve Emmons.

The fire was under control in about 20 minutes, Koslosky said.

Brunswick Fire Chief Ken Brillant estimated the damage to be at least $50,000 because the home will likely require a new roof, wiring and potentially other work. He also said the home is uninsured.

The occupants of the damaged residence could not stay there Tuesday night, according to Brillant. The American Red Cross was called, but the occupants stayed with family.

Fire departments from Topsham, West Bath, Bath, Phippsburg and Cundy’s Harbor in Harpswell also sent tanker trucks because there are no fire hydrants in the part of Brunswick where the fire occurred, according to Brillant.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like