Lisbon homeowner ignites blaze while thawing pipes with blowtorch

Posted Jan. 09, 2014, at 4:36 p.m.

LISBON, Maine — A Lisbon man attempting to thaw his frozen pipes with a blowtorch set fire to an inside wall of his home on Thursday, causing approximately $5,000 in damage, according to Lisbon Fire Chief Sean Galipeau.

At 1:06 p.m., firefighters from Lisbon and Topsham arrived at 12 Fillion St. and discovered an interior wall and crawl space ablaze, Galipeau said.

Using a thermal imaging camera, firefighters found the flames and got the blaze under control in about 40 minutes.

“When you look at it, it looks pretty bad, but for the most part, it was a good save,” the fire chief said. “We were pretty aggressive and able to keep it at bay.”

Crews from Durham, Sabattus, Lewiston and Bowdoin provided station coverage. No injuries were reported, and all pets were accounted for, Galipeau said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine