OXFORD, Maine — A cause will not be determined in a fire that claimed the life of an Oxford man on Wednesday, according to officials.
The state fire marshal’s office said that damage was too extensive to determine a cause in a blaze that killed Peter Lowe, Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Thursday.
According to investigators, the blaze in the Hogan Pond Road started in a bedroom where Lowe was believed to be sleeping, according to McCausland.
Lowe’s body was discovered on his bed, and the state medical examiner’s office concluded that smoke inhalation caused Lowe’s death.
McCausland said Lowe’s home was the only occupied house on Hogan Pond in the area, and the fire may have been burning for several hours before it was discovered. There was no sign of smoke detectors in the home.