December 14, 2017
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Republican Tax Bill | Roy Moore | Susan Collins

Whitefield man, 84, dies after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning on Christmas Day

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff
Updated:

WHITEFIELD, Maine — An 84-year-old Whitefield man hospitalized on Christmas Day with carbon monoxide poisoning died Saturday, his brother said Tuesday.

Mervyn Parmenter and his wife, Madeline, 83, were found by a neighbor unconscious in their home on Heath Road late Christmas morning, Lt. Rand Maker of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said Dec. 25.

At the time, Maker attributed the carbon monoxide poisoning to a generator that the Parmenters were running in a garage adjacent to their living area during an extended blackout caused by an ice storm.

Mervyn Parmenter was taken by LifeFlight of Maine helicopter to a Lewiston hospital and then transferred to a VA hospital in Augusta, where he died.

His brother, Roydon Parmenter, said Tuesday that Mervyn Parmenter had recently been taken off dialysis after several years, “and he was doing pretty good, but then when he got carbon monoxide poisoning … it did in his kidneys.”

Madeline Parmenter was taken to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta. She has returned home and is “back to normal,” Roydon Parmenter said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like