BRUNSWICK, Maine — A 58-year-old man was treated and released from Mid Coast Hospital early Tuesday morning after being burned in an overnight fire in his son’s bedroom at their home on Old Bath Road.
Gordon MacMullen extinguished the flames, which began when an electric candle in the window set ablaze a curtain and towel placed to block sunlight from entering the room, Brunswick Fire Chief Ken Brillant said Tuesday.
The fire was confined to a second-floor bedroom of the home at 343 Old Bath Road. The homeowners were leaving the building when firefighters arrived and doused the smouldering pile.
Brillant said it is unclear whether the candle malfunctioned or the lightbulb touched fabric.
MacMullen’s son was also taken to Mid Coast Hospital, where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released, according to Brillant.