Report: Morning Portland house fire hospitalized one, closed street

A fast-moving fire at 716 Brighton Ave. hospitalized one man and forced the temporary closure of the Portland street during the early morning hours Monday.
Troy R. Bennett | BDN
A fast-moving fire at 716 Brighton Ave. hospitalized one man and forced the temporary closure of the Portland street during the early morning hours Monday.
By Seth Koenig, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 06, 2014, at 9:56 a.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — A fast-moving fire at a Brighton Avenue home hospitalized one man and forced the temporary closure of the Portland street during the early morning hours Monday, Portland NBC affiliate WCSH 6 reported.

The blaze started in a front room at 716 Brighton Ave. and spread quickly, Portland Fire Department officials told the television station.

The homeowner was taken to Maine Medical Center as a precaution, and the structure sustained significant damage, WCSH reported.

Part of Brighton Avenue was reportedly closed down while firefighters fought the blaze. Firefighters were able to access nearby hydrants, despite recent storms bringing snow and ice to the state, and they were able to extinguish the fire in about 30 minutes, the television station reported.

The fire comes just three days after the fire department issued a winter warning, urging city residents to keep hydrants clear and walkways shoveled and sanded.

Firefighters shoveled out fire hydrants on Saturday morning, Portland Fire Chief Jerome Lamoria said.

“With over 1,000 fire hydrants to clear, it makes for a difficult day for our personnel. If every property owner shoveled the hydrant near their home or property, they could help save critical minutes in the event of an emergency.” LaMoria said in a Friday statement.

Other winter safety tips distributed by the department Friday included:

• Keep all vents in the home clear of snow and ice, especially ones used for heating appliances, such as stoves and monitor heaters.

• Always follow manufacturers recommendations for use of space heaters, and never leave space heaters in a room unattended.

• Clear snow and ice from roofs whenever possible and ensure water drainage systems are functioning properly.

• Never run a generator inside of a building.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/06/news/portland/report-morning-portland-house-fire-hospitalized-one-closed-street/ printed on July 29, 2014