New Year’s Eve fire destroys Fairfield house

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 02, 2014, at 10:40 a.m.

FAIRFIELD, Maine — A home on Hutchins Road was destroyed by fire late Tuesday night, according to officials.

Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford said the blaze broke out at approximately 9:40 p.m., and the second story of the two-story house was fully involved by the time crews got to the scene.

Bickford said a woman and her son lived at the house but neither of them were injured, nor were any firefighters from the seven communities that responded.

The fire started in the chimney and is being deemed accidental, according to Bickford. Frigid temperatures also gave firefighters some trouble, Bickford said, but the blaze was contained within two hours.

Crews from Fairfield, Skowhegan, Norridgewock, Waterville, Winslow, Alboin and Clinton were called to the scene. The nearby Sappi Paper Mill was used as a fill site for water, Bickford said.

The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the homeowners.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/02/news/mid-maine/new-years-eve-fire-destroys-fairfield-house/ printed on July 23, 2014