April 26, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Eugene Cole | EMHS | Turkey Hunt

Aurora camp fire blamed on wood stove embers

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

AURORA, Maine — A fire that destroyed a camp Wednesday night on Route 179 is believed to have been started by embers that spilled from a wood stove, according to a fire official.

Bill Cook, chief of the Aurora Fire Department, said Thursday that the camp is a total loss.

Cook said that the house is used infrequently by the owners, who live elsewhere on the same property. He said the owner, whose name he could not recall, had started a fire in the wood stove of the camp to ward off the frigid temperatures. The fire may have been caused by cinders and ashes that fell from the stove onto the floor as the owner was tending the stove, he said.

The call that the camp was on fire came in around 8 p.m. New Year’s Day, he said.

“It was almost fully involved when we got there,” Cook said.

He said he believes the camp is insured. There were no injuries from the fire.

Cook said that normally the Fire Department uses water from Giles Pond when fighting fires in the area but that the pond was frozen solid on Wednesday, which forced firefighters to cut through the ice. Dry hydrants in the area also were frozen, he said. After firefighters got water flowing, nozzles and other equipment kept freezing up in the subzero temperatures, he added.

The fire chief said that roughly 15 firefighters, including some that provided mutual aid from Mariaville and Waltham, went to the fire scene.

Aurora’s fire department also provides fire protection to the neighboring Hancock County towns of Amherst and Great Pond.

Correction: A previous version of this story said the fire occurred in Amherst. It occurred in Aurora.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like