Faulty furnace likely cause of fire that destroyed Bangor mobile home

Posted Jan. 02, 2014, at 1:23 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 02, 2014, at 3:40 p.m.
Firefighters responded to a furnace fire in a mobile home at Pray's Trailer Park in Bangor on Thursday.
Ryan McLaughlin | BDN
Firefighters responded to a furnace fire in a mobile home at Pray's Trailer Park in Bangor on Thursday.

BANGOR, Maine — A faulty furnace was likely the main culprit in a fire that gutted a trailer at a local mobile home park on Thursday afternoon.

Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Tom Higgins said crews were dispatched to Lot 13 at Pray’s Mobile Home Park off Finson Road shortly after noon.

Higgins said fire was spewing through the doors and windows of the home when firefighters from Bangor and Glenburn arrived.

The assistant chief said a woman, her two kids and a dog managed to get out safely.

“The guys tried to make an aggressive attack, but these things advance pretty fast,” Higgins said.

Despite subzero temperatures, firefighters managed to contain the blaze in about an hour, and Glenburn brought in a tanker truck which aided firefighters’ efforts.

“There’s no water supply here in the park,” Higgins said.

Higgins said the mobile home was not insured, but the Red Cross is providing the family with assistance. The state fire marshal’s office will be called in to investigate.

Brewer covered Bangor’s Central Fire Station.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor