Frigid temperatures expected for New Years Eve; power restorations continue

The snow was no obstacle for John Bapst High School track athlete Alex Rockcress as he went on with his regular training routine running through the streets of Bangor on Monday morning.
The snow was no obstacle for John Bapst High School track athlete Alex Rockcress as he went on with his regular training routine running through the streets of Bangor on Monday morning. Buy Photo
Posted Dec. 31, 2013, at 8:49 a.m.
Last modified Dec. 31, 2013, at 1:37 p.m.

GRAY, Maine — If you’re heading to the Downtown Countdown in Bangor or any other New Year’s Eve celebration, bundle up.

Frigid temperatures are expected to close out 2013 on a cold note, according to the National Weather Service.

Arctic air is expected to drop temperatures below zero Tuesday night and into Wednesday, according to the weather service, while high temperatures aren’t expected to get out of the single digits across much of the state.

Gov. Paul LePage’s office announced Tuesday afternoon the governor is advising Mainers to “ring in the New Year warm and safe,” but to take time to check on elderly or vulnerable neighbors. Pets should also not be left outside during long periods of time in frigid temperatures.

The governor also signed a second consecutive emergency declaration, which allows Maine fuel transport and delivery trucks to drive additional hours — over the usual federal limits — to make heating fuel deliveries during the frigid cold snap.

“The recent ice and snow storms have hampered efforts for oil delivery trucks to deliver fuel, which is one reason this declaration is being extended,” LePage said in a written statement. “The declaration allows heating fuel to be delivered to Maine families when they need it most.”

Despite the bitter cold, significant progress was made by Bangor Hydro and Central Maine Power crews in restoring electricity to those who remained without power in the wake of recent snow and ice storms.

Bangor Hydro reported shortly before noon Tuesday 190 customers were without electricity while 3,241 CMP clients were without power.

At one point, nearly 40,000 Bangor Hydro customers had been without electricity, and spokesman Bob Potts said crews are hopeful to have all the outages restored by the end of the day Wednesday.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State