HAMPDEN, Maine — Firefighters from Hampden, Hermon and Bangor stifled an electrical fire that sparked in the walls of a petroleum equipment company, Hampden Fire Lt. Dan Pugsley said Tuesday afternoon.
Emergency crews, including five fire trucks and three ambulances, were dispatched to John W. Kennedy Co. in the Hampden Business and Commerce Park shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday.
The Providence, R.I.,-based company distributes equipment used to build gas stations and other petroleum-related projects. Smoke was rolling out of the front entrance of the building when firefighters arrived, but fire damage was minimal, according to Pugsley.
Crews were preparing to leave the scene by 1:45 p.m.
There were two employees inside the building when the fire broke out. They told firefighters they heard “crackling” in the walls and called to report the fire. A fire alarm tripped and set off the building’s sprinkler system, which helped douse the flames and prevent them from spreading, according to Pugsley.
No one was injured.
John Nolan, vice president of the company, said in a phone interview that the damage wasn’t severe — mostly contained to the drywall, electrical components in one wall, as well as some water damage that will need to be fixed.
There isn’t any petroleum stored at the facility, according to Nolan.
Nolan said he expects the location will be back up and running sometime next week.