June 25, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Red Meat Allergy | Foraging | Ranked-Choice Voting

Family’s pet dog dies in Orland house fire

By Nell Gluckman, BDN Staff

ORLAND, Maine — A house fire on 125 Oak Hill Road took the life a a black Lab and destroyed the living room of a couple’s home on Saturday morning, according to Capt. Casey Soper of the Orland Fire Department. The couple was not injured.

The couple and their son, who lives next door, put the fire out using three fire extinguishers and plenty of snow before the Fire Department arrived at the scene just after dawn, Soper said.

Soper said the fire likely was started by a filter for a pump in a fish tank and that it was accidental. There was severe smoke and heat damage both the inside and outside the house.

The Orland and Bucksport fire departments went to the fire scene. The Surry and Penobscot fire departments were called to the scene, but were able to turn around before they arrived.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like