April 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Alex Gray | Bump Stocks | Ferry Fees

Man accused of breaking into Bangor bus station on Christmas

Courtesy of Bangor Police Department | BDN
Courtesy of Bangor Police Department | BDN
Dale Quereux
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Connecticut man who told police he broke into the Concord Trailways bus station on Union Street on Christmas Day to prevent people from freezing was arrested after authorities reviewed surveillance camera video.

Dale Quereux, 42, of Plainville, Conn., was charged with three crimes originally, and a fourth was added late Thursday morning, Bangor police Lt. Paul Edwards said.

Quereux was seen on video breaking in through the back door, rummaging through cabinets and removing a hammer, long before anyone was let into the building, Edwards said in a Thursday email.

Officer Dan Sanborn went to the bus station after it was reported that several passengers had been left stranded around 11 a.m. and saw several people in and outside the bus station and a broken back door.

Quereux was arrested on a Class C felony burglary charge as well as criminal mischief and theft. He was taken to Penobscot County Jail and was released on $500 cash bail Thursday morning, a jail official said.

“He took that hammer and broke a window of one of the cars parked in the back parking lot causing damage,” Edwards said.

For that damage, Quereux also faces a criminal mischief charge, the lieutenant said.

A story by a local television station that reported Quereux broke into the bus station only to help stranded bus riders created some sympathy for him, Edwards said.

Two people contacted the jail to bail Quereux out, the lieutenant said. A jail official said he did not know who provided Quereux’s bail.

The bus station was closed for much of Christmas Day, with one bus running in the morning and one bus in the afternoon, terminal manager Tim McCann said Thursday.

“We have it posted on our website and on our counter and the Cyr bus driver also informed them,” he said. “We also give them an option of getting off at the Dysart’s bus stop.”

McCann said he counted 13 people at the bus station when he arrived to assist police.

Quereux is scheduled to return to Bangor to face the charges against him in court on Feb. 12.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like