June 22, 2018
Down East Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Fire damages Jonesboro home

By Tim Cox, BDN Staff

JONESBORO, Maine — Firefighters were able to contain a fire at a home on Sunday afternoon. The house was damaged but is in repairable condition, Jonesboro Fire Chief Michael Schoppee reported.

Firefighters were summoned to the home of Bertram Merchant on Addies Lane, located off U.S. 1 near the Columbia Falls line, about 3 p.m.

The house has an outside chimney, and a fire was burning between the chimney and the interior of the house, explained Schoppee.

Firefighters had the flames under control in 10 minutes, he said. However, they spent about another hour making sure it was fully extinguished. The fire had spread to the roof area, and firefighters pulled down a ceiling to expose it, said Schoppee.

The cause of the fire was a crack in the chimney, said Schoppee.

Merchant was home when the fire occurred, but he was unaware of it, said Schoppee. The fire was reported by a passerby who saw smoke.

Schoppe estimated the house was valued at about $50,000, and the damage was about $10,000. There was no smoke or water damage.

Firefighters from Addison, Columbia Falls, Columbia, and Jonesport also responded, about 30 in all.

“We had a great response, and we had a great save,” said Schoppee.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like