Former Stonington man to serve 9 months for sexually abusing minor

By Nell Gluckman, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 20, 2013, at 5:16 p.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A former Stonington man who was charged with three counts of sexual abuse of a minor before leaving the state and sending police on a months-long search pleaded guilty to those charges on Friday morning. He was sentenced to four years, with all but nine months suspended, plus four years of probation, according to court documents.

Jamie Cox, now 36, was accused of having sex eight to 10 times with a girl who was under the age of 15, according to his attorney, Jeffrey Toothaker. Police collected some of Cox’s DNA as evidence of the crimes.

Cox was indicted in April, but two weeks later, police released a statement asking the public’s assistance in finding him. He was tracked down and apprehended in Virginia in August.

The conditions of his probation include that he must submit to an evaluation, counseling and sex offender treatment; he can have no contact with the victim, her family or any children under the age of 16; and he must live where he is directed to live by his probation officer, according to court documents.

In 1997, when he was 19, Cox was convicted of arson and burglary, according to his criminal history record, a copy of which was obtained from the Maine State Bureau of Identification. News reports at the time said he was accused of burning down a house in Sullivan. He had been squatting in the house and eating food that he found there before he burned it down, causing $151,000 in damage, a fire investigator said at the time of the incident.

While he was held at the Piscataquis County Jail in 1997, he was convicted of attempting to escape, aggravated assault and trafficking in prison contraband. According to news reports at the time, Cox jammed the lock of his cell with paper, preventing it from locking. He then went to the jail control room, where he struck a corrections officer in the head with an object reported in one account as a pipe and another as a table leg.

Also in 1997, Cox was convicted again after writing threatening letters to 18 federal and state officials, including then President Bill Clinton, in which Cox threatened to kill, rape, maim or extort money from those officials and their family members, according to a Bangor Daily News story.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/12/20/news/hancock/former-stonington-man-to-serve-9-months-for-sexually-abusing-minor/ printed on September 21, 2014