June 24, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Fire destroys Knox home

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

KNOX, Maine — A home on Aborn Hill Road was destroyed by fire Monday.

Nobody was injured but a cat was lost in the blaze, said Knox Fire Chief Matt Shaw.

The fire was reported between 9 and 9:30 a.m. by Dwight Montgomery, owner of the two-story home, which measured 28 by 32 feet with an attached shed, the chief said. The fire appeared to have started near the chimney.

The owner reported that there had been puffs of smoke coming from the fireplace during the past few days so there may have been a blockage in the chimney, the chief said.

Fire crews from eight or nine towns around Knox fought the fire, Shaw said, totaling more than 50 firefighters. The chief said the fire was a difficult one to handle because the older house had undergone renovations and the fire had gotten a head start within the walls and ceilings.

The owner said he was insured, the chief said. Montgomery is staying with a sister and the Red Cross has offered its assistance, Shaw said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like