April 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Eugene Cole | EMHS | Turkey Hunt

Police investigating Orono stabbing that left man with serious injuries

By Nick McCrea, BDN Staff

ORONO, Maine — Orono and state police are investigating a Sunday afternoon stabbing on Park Street that left a 50-year-old resident with potentially life-threatening injuries.

Orono police Chief Josh Ewing said police were dispatched to 87 Park St. after witnesses called to report a fight had broken out inside the building between a 50-year-old resident and another man in his early 20s.

Police declined to release their identities Sunday night.

Ewing wasn’t sure exactly when the call came in, but he said Orono and Old Town police responded within a matter of minutes. The incident happened around 2 or 2:30 p.m.

When police arrived, they made entry to the house and broke up the fight, which was still going on. A knife was involved and the 50-year-old man received serious wounds during the altercation. No officers were injured when they intervened, according to Ewing.

Both men were taken to a Bangor hospital for treatment. The younger man suffered minor cuts, according to Ewing.

Police had the entrances to the building taped off and secured Sunday afternoon and evening. A boot and what appeared to be a white T-shirt were on the path in front of the home, possibly from when medical personnel tended to the men, Ewing said.

State police have been called in on the investigation because of the severity of the 50-year-old’s injuries, according to Ewing.

Ewing described 87 Park St. as a “rooming house” in which individual rooms, rather than apartments, are rented by tenants.

Ewing said one of the individuals involved in the fight was being “detained,” but no arrests have been made or charges filed at this point.

He said the two men were not related, but that they did have a “roundabout relationship” that police are piecing together.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like