Rescued Veazie man recovering from fire

Fire Capt. Pete Metcalf (left) and Patrolman Matthew Parkhurst stand beside the mobile home on Chase Road on Sunday that was the scene of a rescue that tested the quick response and teamwork of the first responders, who saved a man's life.
Fire Capt. Pete Metcalf (left) and Patrolman Matthew Parkhurst stand beside the mobile home on Chase Road on Sunday that was the scene of a rescue that tested the quick response and teamwork of the first responders, who saved a man's life.
Posted Dec. 03, 2013, at 2:21 p.m.
Last modified Dec. 03, 2013, at 3:40 p.m.

VEAZIE, Maine — A Chase Road resident whom firefighters rescued from a burning home on Saturday was in critical condition at a Bangor hospital Tuesday as investigators continue to probe what started the fire.

Michael Nelligan, 57, of Veazie was in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor on Tuesday, a hospital spokesman said. Sgt. Joel Davis of the state fire marshal’s office had said earlier Tuesday that Nelligan was in stable condition.

“We know it started in the bathroom, but until we talk to him, we won’t know what happened,” Davis said Tuesday. “We’ve done our [on-site] investigation. We know where it started, but there are a couple of different things it could be. Until we talk to him, we won’t know what he had going in there.”

Nelligan called 911 at 12:48 p.m. Saturday to report he was trapped in his trailer’s rear bedroom by a fire in the bedroom. The first to respond to the call, Veazie police Officer Matthew Parkhurst and Veazie Fire Capt. Pete Metcalf, who arrived three minutes after Parkhurst, had their rescue attempts driven back by smoke and flames.

They were dousing the flames when Orono Fire Capt. Joel Sides and firefighter Dennis Bean pulled the unconscious man from the trailer several minutes later. Nelligan was revived by Orono Fire Lt. Brad Strout and Orono firefighter Nick Chapman. He was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he was treated for smoke inhalation.

Parkhurst was released from EMMC Saturday after being treated for smoke inhalation.

Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office inspected the fire scene on Saturday. Davis said that they saw nothing that would indicate that the fire was anything other than accidental or resulting from a mechanical malfunction.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor