Man accused of causing July 4 standoff in Bangor to plead guilty to federal gun charge

Posted Dec. 02, 2013, at 2:15 p.m.
Perrin Q. Oliver
Perrin Q. Oliver
Bangor Police closed several streets in Downtown Bangor on July 4, 2013 during a standoff with Perrin Q. Oliver.
Bangor Police closed several streets in Downtown Bangor on July 4, 2013 during a standoff with Perrin Q. Oliver.

BANGOR, Maine — The man accused of causing a July Fourth standoff downtown has agreed to plead guilty later this month to one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Perrin Q. Oliver, 44, of Bangor is scheduled to appear on Dec. 18 before U.S. District Judge George Singal in U.S. District Court in Bangor to change his plea from not guilty to guilty, according to information posted to the court’s electronic case filing system.

Oliver, who is a native of Detroit, Mich., allegedly fired 70 rounds of ammunition in his Park Street apartment and through the window. Exactly what actions he will admit to by pleading guilty was not known Monday because the prosecution version of events had not been filed.

No one was hurt in the standoff.

Oliver pleaded not guilty on Oct. 23 to the federal charge. He originally was charged at the Penobscot Judicial Center with felony reckless conduct with a firearm, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

The Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office in September turned Oliver’s case over to the U.S. Attorney’s Office because the potential sentence would be more severe in federal rather than state court, according to a previously published report.

“The most serious charge we would have arising from the July 4 shooting was reckless conduct, a Class C felony, with a maximum sentence of five years in prison,” Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, said in October. “Because of his criminal history, the defendant faces a longer sentence under the federal sentencing guidelines.”

Oliver faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 on the federal charge.

Bangor police received a call at 8:30 a.m. July 4 reporting a man firing shots out of a second-floor apartment window in a building at 47 Park St., then-Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said after Oliver was arrested.

Police negotiated for two hours and finally used tear gas to get Oliver out of the building, according to a previously published report.

The Fourth of July Parade that typically proceeds through the area police taped off was rerouted down Water Street.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor