June 20, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Waldoboro man arrested for allegedly impersonating a game warden, cuffing Warren man

Courtesy of Knox County Jail
Courtesy of Knox County Jail
Dylan Willey
By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

WARREN, Maine — A 21-year-old Waldoboro man is behind bars after being accused of impersonating a game warden.

According to an affidavit filed in Rockland District Court, Dylan J. Willey interrogated a Warren man, read him his Miranda rights and tied the person’s hands behind his back as part of the ruse.

Willey was arrested Monday afternoon by Warden Mark Merrifield and charged with impersonating a public servant and criminal restraint. The reason behind Willey’s alleged actions was not stated in the affidavit filed by Merrifield. The warden was off duty Wednesday and not available for comment.

Willey went to a home in Warren and identified himself as an undercover game warden and then interrogated a man about possible wildlife poaching in the area, according to the affidavit. Willey read the man his Miranda rights, informing him of his legal right to remain silent and request an attorney, just as police are required to do before interrogating a suspect in custody. Willey then asked the man to empty his pockets and hand over his hunting license before he tied the victim’s hands behind his back with zip ties, the affidavit states.

When the victim agreed to write down the names of people he suspected of hunting illegally in the area as well as one who might be dealing drugs, Willey cut the zip ties off the man and said he was letting him go, according to the affidavit. The victim then wrote down the list of names and handed them to Willey.

The Warren resident told police that Willey had a handgun on him and that he also could see the butt stock of a rifle in Willey’s vehicle. The victim also saw a bulletproof vest in the vehicle, according to the affidavit.

After Willey left, the victim spoke to his stepfather, who contacted the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Wardens interviewed the victim and he agreed to telephone Willey and ask him to return.

When Willey returned, he was stopped by officers. No weapons were found in his vehicle but zip ties including cut ones were found, according to the affidavit. Willey confessed to the allegations except for the claim that he had firearms. Willey was on probation at the time after having been convicted in February for criminal threatening and terrorizing. Being on probation prohibited Willey from having firearms, according to the affidavit.

Willey initially said he had thrown the list of names given to him by the victim out his vehicle window but eventually told officers that it was in a trash can on the porch at his residence.

Willey was taken to the Knox County Jail. He made his initial court appearance Wednesday afternoon in Rockland District Court, where Judge Patricia Worth ordered him held without bail. A motion by the state to revoke Willey’s probation will be heard on Dec. 3.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like