HERMON — Air National Guard Airman 1st Class Matthew Buzzell graduated recently from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
Buzzell, a 2005 graduate of Hermon High School, is the son of Lori and Clifford Buzzell of Hermon.
BANGOR — Air Force Airman 1st Class Tyler Heber graduated recently from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
A 2004 graduate of Bangor High School and a 2008 graduate of Husson College, Heber is the son of Sarah and Albert Heber of Bangor.
STOCKTON SPRINGS — U.S. Sen. Susan Collins delivered remarks and presented the Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor to the family of Jerry W. Dobbins, a town resident who was killed in action in World War II.
The posthumous medal ceremony was held Nov. 9 at the Stockton Springs Town Hall.
Jerry W. Dobbins was killed in action in 1943 when his B-17 bomber crashed in Southern France during a WWII raid on German submarines.
Lance Weddell, past commander of the Jerry W. Dobbins Post of The American Legion in Stockton Springs, was presented Vietnam Campaign and Service medals on Oct. 8.
AUGUSTA — Brig. Gen. James Campbell, Adjutant General of Maine, announced the promotion to the rank specified of these national guard members:
• David Jones, specialist, Aurora, Company B, 3/172d Infantry (Mountain).
• Sean Harmon, lieutenant colonel, Hampden, 240th Regional Training Institute.
• Darryl Lyon, lieutenant colonel, Bangor, 11th Civil Support Team.
• Brian Dill, sergeant major, Hampden, 52d Troop Command.
• Matthew Aspelund, 1st sergeant, Hermon, 11th Civil Support Team.
• Kenneth Oiler, master sergeant, Greenbush, 240th Regional Training Institute.
• Mark Urquhart, sergeant 1st class, Stetson, Detachment 2, 126th Aviation.
• Richard Romanelli, staff sergeant, Glenburn, 195th Army Band.
• Timothy Birmingham, sergeant, Bangor, 1136th Transportation Company.
• Michael Cayia, specialist, Hampden, 136th Engineer Company.
• Patrick Flanagan, specialist, Bangor, Company B, 3/172d Infantry (Mountain).
All were promoted to rank in October.