June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Holden woman facing OUI, driving with suspended license charges after early morning visit to market

Sharon Gilley
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

HOLDEN, Maine — A 57-year-old local woman was arrested last week on operating under the influence and driving with a suspended or revoked license charges after someone who thought she looked intoxicated at a local market called the police.

The series of incidents that led to the arrest of Sharon Gilley of Holden began about 6:20 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, when Holden police Officer Dain Bryant was told about a woman, identified by a caller as Gilley, being in the parking lot of the G&M Family Market on Main Road, Holden police Sgt. Eugene Fizell said Wednesday, citing a police report.

The caller reported that Gilley appeared intoxicated by her walk and was driving her car, a maroon Pontiac Grand Prix, toward Brewer on Main Road. Gilley was known to Bryant.

Bryant located the Grand Prix, now traveling toward Dedham on Main Road, and recognized the female driver as Gilley. Bryant followed her, observing her driving while checking her license status. A Penobscot Regional Communications Center dispatcher confirmed that her driver’s license was suspended for an operating under the influence conviction from June of this year.

Gilley’s driving was erratic and she was weaving so Bryant pulled her over, Fizell said. He said that after a field sobriety assessment was conducted, Gilley was arrested and taken to Penobscot County Jail, where a breath test conducted with an Intoxilyzer indicated that her blood-alcohol content was more than twice the state legal limit of .08.

Gilley was charged with a felony count of operating under the influence of intoxicants and operating after license suspension, Fizell said. He said the OUI charge is a felony charge because of OUI convictions in June, in November of last year and in November 1990.

Gilley has made an initial court appearance and is being held at Penobscot County Jail pending payment of $2,000 cash bail, Fizell said. Her next court appearance is set for Jan. 7, 2014, at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like