Two fires destroy Scarborough homes Saturday, injuring two

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 09, 2013, at 3:35 p.m.

SCARBOROUGH, Maine — Two elderly residents were injured jumping from a burning Prouts Neck home early Saturday morning in one of two fires that destroyed homes.

Firefighters arrived at the first fire at approximately 5:41 a.m., and the large home at 29 Winslow Homer Road was engulfed in flames, Scarborough Fire Chief Michael Thurlough said.

“Our initial actions were to assist the homeowners with their injuries and take care of them,” he said.

Both occupants, who escaped through a second-story window, were transported to Maine Medical Center with injuries that weren’t life threatening.

Crews worked amid windy conditions to keep the three-alarm fire from spreading to two nearby buildings.

The home, one of several buildings on the property, is owned by Kenyon Bolton III, according to Scarborough assessing records. The home’s assessed value is $4.2 million.

Just after Thurlough called for mutual aid to assist in extinguishing the first fire, a second fire was reported.

That blaze, in a single-family home at 38 Westwood Ave., had been burning for some time before it was reported, Thurlough said.

Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office responded because injuries were reported, both homes were destroyed, and Thurlough noted how a pair of fires at the same time was suspicious.

“Two simultaneous fires certainly makes you wonder. It’s kind of a coincidence. It doesn’t happen very often,” he said.

No firefighters were injured, he said.

Thurlough praised area firefighters from Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Portland, Westbrook, Gorham, Saco, Buxton and Old Orchard for assisting.

Firefighters remained at the scene early Saturday afternoon, using an excavator to get to some burning spots.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/11/09/news/portland/two-fires-destroy-scarborough-homes-saturday-morning-two-injured/ printed on July 26, 2014