Suspicious package in Orono turns out to be discarded Halloween costume

Police temporarily closed Main Street in Orono on Sunday afternoon. The Bangor Police Bomb Squad was called to the scene.
Gabor Degre | BDN
Police temporarily closed Main Street in Orono on Sunday afternoon. The Bangor Police Bomb Squad was called to the scene. Buy Photo
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 03, 2013, at 1:52 p.m.

ORONO, Maine — A suspicious package turned out to be a discarded Halloween costume once it had been exploded by the Bangor police bomb squad, Police Chief Josh Ewing said Sunday.

Ewing said Orono police received a report midmorning Sunday that the item, which was about the size of a cereal box and appeared to have tubes and a clock attached to it, was leaning up against a telephone pole on Main Street near Hamlin Street.

Police closed off Main Street between the Big Apple store and Juniper Street shortly before noon and called Bangor police, which has a bomb squad and a remotely controlled robot, Ewing said. When the item was detonated by the robot, no explosives were found.

“It looked like a discarded Halloween costume,” he said.

Main Street was closed about 11:30 a.m. and reopened about 2:15 p.m. Sunday.

Ted Curtis, who lives at 123 Main St., said he heard an explosion about 1:30 p.m. nearby. Curtis said he first heard sirens about 11:25 a.m.

He said police did not evacuate his home or appear to conduct a mass evacuation of the neighborhood.

Ewing said a few houses nearest the telephone pole were evacuated.

It was the second time in less than a month the Bangor police bomb squad has been called out. On Oct. 14, a suspicious package found near the Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot on Hogan Road turned out to be a cinder block wrapped in paper.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/11/03/news/bangor/main-street-in-orono-blocked-off-while-possible-explosive-device-investigated/ printed on September 19, 2014