May 25, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | DHHS Report | Islesboro Ferry | Election 2018

Portland man charged with smuggling pot from California to remain jailed

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

PORTLAND, Maine — A local man accused of smuggling hundreds of pounds of marijuana from California to Maine and giving more than $100,000 in cash to an attorney to launder agreed Friday to be held without bail pending the outcome of his case.

David Jones, a.k.a. Dave Kaos, 29, of Scarborough was arrested Sept. 5, 2012, in Ellsworth, Kansas, while allegedly overseeing the transport of marijuana to Maine in a car someone else was driving. Court documents do not say whether he was charged in that state or when or if he was released on bail.

Jones was arrested and charged in U.S. District Court in Maine on Oct. 4, 2013, with possession with intent to distribute 100 kilograms or more of marijuana. He has not entered a plea to that charge because he has not been indicted by a federal grand jury.

The lawyer who allegedly laundered drug money for Jones is not named in the affidavit.

Jones and the attorney “engaged in financial dealings together in which Jones paid the attorney over $100,000 in cash” in 2012, the document said. “The investigation of the financial relationship between Jones and the attorney reveal that the financial dealing between Jones and the attorney were not within the scope of an attorney-client relationship but rather that the attorney and Jones were partners in several businesses and a real estate transaction.”

When Jones was arrested in Kansas, the attorney sent him a letter terminating their business relationship, the affidavit said.

Jones’ alleged smuggling activities came to the attention of federal investigators in September 2012 with information provided by two unnamed defendants, according to the affidavit. In late 2011 one of the cooperating defendants began distributing marijuana for Jones, which he was sending to Maine using FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service.

Another cooperating defendant told investigators that he or she introduced Jones in September 2011 to a relative of the cooperating defendant who became Jones’ supplier. The packages were shipped to third parties in Maine.

Jones was convicted in January 2006 of trafficking in scheduled drugs in Bangor Superior Court, the affidavit said. He was sentenced to two years in prison with all but 30 days suspended. In March 2011, Jones was convicted on the same charge and sentenced at the Penobscot Judicial Center to six months in jail and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.

If convicted in federal court, he faces between five and 40 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $5 million. He also could be ordered to forfeit cash, vehicles and property purchased with the proceeds from his alleged marijuana sales.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like