June 18, 2018
High School Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Balanced Bangor boys soccer team handles Brewer for seventh win

By Ernie Clark, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The Bangor boys soccer team’s immediate response to its first loss of the season was less than stellar Tuesday evening, as the Rams fell behind feisty Brewer less than four minutes into their match.

It was a brief disappointment.

Twelve different Bangor players contributed at least a goal or an assist and the defense worked a shutout the rest of the way as the Rams secured a 9-1 victory in the only meeting of the regular season between the Class A cross-river foes.

“That just speaks to the depth of our program,” said Bangor senior defender Justin Courtney. “We’ve got something special going this year and we’ve just got to keep doing what we’re doing and we’ll be playing in November where we want to be.”

Sophomore Andrew Barrowman led the Rams offensively, scoring his team’s first two goals of the match to go with an assist.

Cullen Cassidy had a goal and an assist for coach David Patterson’s club, while Eli Clein, Sam Huston, Kyle Stevenson, Mehmet Carson, Karl Gurshick and Josh Landy contributed a goal and Courtney, Carson Athlerley, Alex Campbell and Cam Conway all had assists in support of senior goalie Colton Markevich.

The Rams (7-1) were coming off a 2-1 loss at Mount Ararat of Topsham last Friday that provided a midseason lesson of sorts.

“We learned we have to be more physical against big teams like that,” said Barrowman. “We can’t always play our game and our style, we have to match up against the more physical teams.”

Yet it took Bangor a few minutes to settle in against 1-7 Brewer, which took a 1-0 lead on a goal from the middle of the crease by senior midfielder Alec Wortman with 36:25 left in the first half.

“It surprised us all going down one-zip,” said Courtney, “but we knew there was a ton of time left and we just needed to regroup and get back on track.”

Brewer held that lead for the next 11 minutes until Barrowman scored the equalizer on a penalty kick past Brewer goalie Caleb Eggert after the Witches were whistled for a hand ball in the penalty area.

Barrowman then gave the Rams a 2-1 lead with 17:15 left in the opening period, heading in a corner kick from the left side by Atherley.

“Getting Andrew’s goal was a pretty quick response for us and just springboarded us to keep going,” said Courtney.

Another corner kick by Atherley set up Bangor’s final goal of the half, with the freshman kicking that restart to the near post, from where Courtney skimmed a header to the far post where Clein sent the ball into the open side of the net.

Bangor needed just four minutes of the second half to extend that 3-1 lead, as Cassidy ran onto a long cross from Campbell toward the right post to score.

Huston scored on a Barrowman assist five minutes later to make it 6-1, and the Rams later got goals from Gurshick, Carson and Stevenson within a 2-minute, 20-second span midway through the period before Landry capped off the scoring with 1:54 remaining.

“Our loss to Mount Ararat really hit us all and made us realize that we’re at a point where we can’t peak now but we have to keep moving forward,” said Barrowman.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like