Orono man accused of killing Glenburn teen Nichole Cable indicted in second theft

Posted Sept. 25, 2013, at 4:13 p.m.
Last modified Sept. 25, 2013, at 7:29 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The Orono man who was charged with murder and kidnapping in connection with the death of a 15-year-old girl from Glenburn was indicted on a theft charge Wednesday by a Penobscot County grand jury.

Kyle Dube, 20, was indicted in July on felony burglary and theft charges for allegedly stealing a gun from a Kenduskeag home in January.

He was indicted again on Wednesday in connection with a burglary in March in Glenburn in which jewelry, silverware and other small valuables were taken, Penobscot County Deputy District Attorney Michael Roberts said.

“It was items that could easily be pawned,” Roberts said, adding that the dollar value of the items exceeded $1,000, making the theft charge a felony.

Dube was charged with murder in May in connection with the death of Nichole Cable, a teenage girl from Glenburn and Alton who last was seen alive on Mother’s Day. The two knew each other and were together the night before her death. Cable died of asphyxiation from compression of her neck, according the state medical examiner’s office.

Dube is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in what he claimed was an abduction gone wrong. Her body was found late May 20 in a wooded area in Old Town after Dube’s girlfriend and brother told police where Dube reportedly said he had left Cable covered with sticks.

He was indicted by a Penobscot County grand jury in May on kidnapping and murder charges. Dube pleaded not guilty on June 19 to both charges.

Also in June, members of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from Maine State Police and Orono Police Department, searched Dube’s residence in Orono looking for property stolen during the Kenduskeag burglary.

During that search, a sheriff’s office K-9 located one of the stolen firearms from the Kenduskeag burglary as well as other items that matched the description of property stolen from a separate residential burglary being investigated by the Maine State Police, Morton said in July.

Dube faces Class B burglary and Class B theft by unauthorized taking charges in connection with the break-in.

A Superior Court justice in June granted a defense motion for Dube to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether he is competent to stand trial. Dube’s defense attorney, Stephen Smith, confirmed last month that the evaluation was underway at that time.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor