April 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Kenduskeag Stream Race | Opioids | Maine Legislature

Chimney catches fire in Carmel home

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

CARMEL, Maine — A fire that began in the chimney of a Plymouth Road home Wednesday evening was stopped just as it was starting to extend into the walls, a Carmel Fire Department official said Wednesday night.

The fire at 175 Plymouth Road was reported shortly before 7 p.m., Capt. Tim Hall said.

Hall said that when fire crews arrived, they found that the homeowner, Roscoe Noble, and three other men had started ripping a wall near the chimney apart and had managed to get the fire nearly extinguished.

Firefighters from Carmel, Hermon and Etna finished the job and used two thermal imaging cameras to ensure that there were no hidden hotspots, Hall said. Despite some fire damage, the house is still habitable, Hall said, adding that no one was injured as a result of the fire.

Carmel firefighters were assisted at the scene by members of the Hermon and Etna fire departments, Hall said. Crews from Levant and Stetson remained on standby.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like