June 20, 2018
Field Hockey Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Old Town field hockey team edges Dexter 3-2 on Rawson goal

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff

OLD TOWN, Maine — The Old Town High School field hockey team remained undefeated Tuesday afternoon. Perhaps by a few inches.

Senior midfielder Kate Rawson’s goal with 18 minutes remaining snapped a 2-2 tie and gave Old Town a thrilling 3-2 victory over Dexter in an entertaining affair.

However, with 35 seconds remaining, Dexter’s Katilyn Hall nearly forced overtime with a well-placed shot through a flock of legs from the middle of the penalty circle following some nifty stickhandling by Peyton Watson and Watson’s pinpoint pass.

However, her shot hit the far post before being cleared away.

“I thought I was going to cry,” said Hall, who was wide open. “I usually never get off a good flick but that was a good one.”

“It was tense at the end,” said Rawson.

Class B Old Town is now 7-0-1 after posting its seventh straight win. Dexter was the first team to score on the Coyotes.

Class C Dexter fell to 5-2.

“After losing 8-0 to Dexter as sophomores, it’s very nice for our seniors to come out with a win,” said second-year Old Town head coach Sarah Estes. “It’s huge for us in the Heal points (standings). This enables us to stay in the top three (second). Dexter has a good program so this is a nice win for our girls’ confidence.”

Rawson’s game-winner came just a minute after Watson had equalized.

Rawson had the ball in the right side of circle and tried to pass it across the goalmouth only to have it hit a stick and deflect back to her.

“I had an open push (shot),” said Rawson. “I put it near post. The goalie (Kaitlyn Paquin) was on her left foot instead of her right foot so she couldn’t push off (and slide across).”

The Coyotes almost scored a clinching goal with six minutes left but Ali King’s goal-bound shot was cleared off the line by Christie Nicholas.

That set the stage for a wild finish as the Tigers swarmed the Old Town cage looking for an equalizer. They generated four penalty corners in the final three minutes.

Justice Mower opened the scoring for Dexter early in the first half when she took a pass from Hannah Farrar and rifled a thigh-high shot into the far corner from the left side.

Kristyn Bell drew the Coyotes level three minutes later when she shoveled home a loose ball after King’s shot was blocked.

Old Town had a decided edge in play in the first half and King nearly gave the Coyotes a lead right before the intermission only to have her drive sail inches wide of the right post.

Old Town had a 10-6 edge in shots.

Old Town took the lead with 21 minutes left in regulation when Brooke Sulinski took a pass from Rawson in the middle of the circle, wheeled around and fired her shot into the corner to the right of Dexter goalie Paquin.

Watson answered two minutes later when she pounced on a Hall rebound and snapped it behind Old Town goalie Erica Ogden.

Dexter co-head coach Margaret Veazie said her team played better in the second half and praised the efforts turned in by dynamic freshman right wing Abbey Webber and right midfielder Emily Watson, a sophomore.

“I thought they dominated the right side of the field,” said Veazie.

Old Town received exemplary performances from midfielders King and Rawson, fullback Bell and forwards Tia Jackson and Sulinski.

Ogden finished with six saves on 11 shots while Dexter’s Kolby Kain (first half) and Paquin (second half) combined for six saves on 19 shots.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like