June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Pride | Janet Mills | Urban Farming Ban

Bangor man accused of causing July 4 standoff appears in federal court on gun charge

Bangor Police Department | BDN
Bangor Police Department | BDN
Perrin Oliver
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The 44-year-old man who allegedly created a standoff downtown on the Fourth of July made his first court appearance Tuesday on a federal gun charge.

Perrin Q. Oliver of Bangor was charged Friday in U.S. District Court with being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

He did not enter a plea to that charge because he has not yet been indicted by a federal grand jury.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Margaret Kravchuk set a detention hearing for Oct. 1. Federal prosecutors have asked that Oliver be held without bail pending the outcome of his case because he poses a danger to the community, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court.

Oliver was prohibited from having guns due to a 2008 conviction in Brooklyn, N.Y., for criminal possession of a weapon, a felony in that state, according to a previously published report. He was sentenced to five years of probation for that crime.

Oliver has been held at the Penobscot County Jail since his arrest July 4, unable to post $100,000 cash bail. He was charged in state court with felony reckless conduct with a firearm, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. Oliver has not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury.

Oliver fired 70 rounds of ammunition inside his second-story Park Street apartment and out the window onto city streets starting about 8:30 a.m., causing an evacuation of the area and the closure of nearby roadways, Bangor police said. At around 12:15 p.m., members of the Special Response Team shot tear gas into the apartment on Park Street above Luna’s Bar and Grill and arrested Oliver in the hallway as he fled, according to a previously published report.

Officers took a Rossi .38 special handgun into evidence, according to the affidavit filed Friday in federal court.

If convicted in federal court, Oliver faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Oliver faces up to 10 years behind bars and a fine of up to $20,000 if convicted on the reckless conduct with a firearm charge in state court. The penalty for felony criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon is a maximum prison sentence of five years and a fine of up to $5,000.

BDN writers Nick McCrea and Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like