June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Mother, stepfather of Nichole Cable warn of Internet dangers on ‘Dr. Phil’ show

By Alex Barber, BDN Staff

The mother and stepfather of Nichole Cable, the 15-year-old girl who was found dead in Old Town in May, appeared on the ‘Dr. Phil’ television show to warn another teen about the dangers of meeting people online.

The episode, titled “ Dangerous Online Obsession Part 2,” aired on Thursday evening. The episode was taped several weeks ago.

Missy, a 17-year-old, said she has met upward of 100 men and boys online since she was 12 years old and had no problem with doing so.

“The guys I meet are always good guys,” Missy told Dr. Phil McGraw, who hosts the show. “I was looking for love and affection in all the wrong places.”

Dr. Phil said that at age 15, Missy was found in a ditch, bleeding. She had been raped and wound up in a hospital.

Her parents, Mary and Jude, were on the show to meet Nichole Cable’s mother, Kristine Wiley, and her stepfather, Jason Wiley, both of Glenburn. Nichole’s father, David Cable, did not appear on the show.

Nichole Cable allegedly began talking on Facebook to Kyle Dube, who was using a fake profile.

Dube, 20, of Orono, is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home on the night of May 12 by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in an abduction gone wrong. Dube said he planned to kidnap the girl, hide her, then find her and play the hero.

Cable’s body was found late May 20 in a wooded area of Old Town after Dube’s girlfriend and brother told police where Dube said he had left the girl’s body, according to court documents.

On June 19, Dube pleaded not guilty to one count each of kidnapping and murder.

“She met one person on the Internet and this person ended her life,” Kristine Wiley said to Missy. “It only happened one time. You met how many? Do you know how lucky [you are]? You’ve been given chance after chance after chance and every single man or boy you met could’ve done it to you.”

According to a police affidavit, Dube contacted other girls through a fake Facebook account he set up using the name and information of a Bangor High School student who knew Cable casually.

“During the course of the investigation records were obtained from Facebook indicating that the fake Bryan Butterfield account was used to make contact with several young females in the Bangor area to include Cable,” Detective Rick Canarr of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department wrote.

Cable died of “asphyxia due to compression of the neck,” according to the state medical examiner’s office.

Mary and Jude said they didn’t know how to talk to their daughter about the dangers of meeting people on the Internet.

The Wileys explained that they would give anything to be with Nichole again.

“I can’t get the visions out of my head of what happened that night. That she screamed for her mommy and screamed for her daddy and we weren’t there,” said Kristine Wiley. “It happened to my daughter. It could happen to you.”

“You have to be careful who you talk to,” Jason Wiley said. “Ask yourself one question: ‘Is that really the person you’re talking to?’ They could be some predator. It could be some convicted felon. You don’t know.”

Kristine Wiley said she used to closely monitor Nichole’s online activities, but “let it slide a little bit.

“By letting it slide a little bit, I lost her,” she said.

She cried often and embraced with Mary.

Despite the invasion of privacy it might be for a teenager, it’s the parents’ responsibility to protect them, said McGraw.

“Our job as parents is to prepare our children for the next level of life. We cannot afford to be computer illiterate,” he said.

The Wileys have struggled to get back to normal, they said.

“I have been trying to figure that out, even today,” said Jason Wiley. “Even through the unfortunate events that’s happened, somehow along the line, we still have to pick up. It’s not like time stops. We have to go on. As hard as that is for us, we have to live minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day. That’s the only way we’re going to get through this. We’ll go outside and play with our kids. We have to stay together as a family.”

“[Moving on] is not as easy as people think,” said Kristine Wiley. “It’s hard to be joyful when your heart’s been ripped right out.”

McGraw encouraged the Wileys to not feel guilty when they have a moment of joy.

“You’ll catch yourself laughing and you’ll stop and think, ‘Oh God, my baby’s dead. How can I laugh?’ Try not to feel guilty about that,” he said. “Try to take that breath of air for that moment. Try to think about what she would want for you to do. You know that she wouldn’t want to be a burden on your life. You do not want her legacy to be one of pain.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like