FARMINGTON, Maine — A Jay man has dropped his request to withdraw a guilty plea to a felony sex charge related to having sexual contact with a child under 12 in 2010, according to court documents.
Ralph O. Metcalf, 34, had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of unlawful sexual contact in a plea agreement after attorneys gave opening statements at a jury trial in June at the Franklin County Superior Court.
Metcalf had been indicted on a higher felony charge of gross sexual assault, but that charge was dismissed in the agreement. A conviction on the charge carries a penalty of up to 30 years in prison.
A conviction on the lesser charge of unlawful sexual contact carries up to 10 years in prison.
Metcalf has been held without bail since June 19.
He requested in July to withdraw his guilty plea and to get another attorney.
Justice Michaela Murphy granted the motion for a new attorney. She heard testimony on a motion to withdraw in August and continued the session for more testimony to be heard on Sept. 27.
Instead of continuing the hearing, Metcalf’s new attorney Nicholas Worden asked that sentencing be held at 10 a.m. on Sept. 27 in the notice of withdrawal of the motion filed on Sept. 13.
Assistant District Attorney James Andrews told the court in June that the recommendation for sentencing on sexual contact conviction would have Metcalf serve five years of a 10-year sentence at the Maine Department of Corrections. Metcalf could serve 12 years of probation once he is released, the prosecutor said.
Metcalf also would be required to be a lifetime registrant of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act.