Sports briefs for Sept. 11, 2013

Posted Sept. 12, 2013, at 5:50 a.m.

Gallo wins New England Open

BELMONT, Mass. — Kyle Gallo of Kensington, Conn., shot a 4-under-par 67 in Wednesday’s final round to earn a two-shot victory in the 2013 New England Open golf championship at Belmont Country Club.

Gallo held off Geoff Sisk of Marshfield, Mass., who finished with a three-day total of 208 (5 under), while Eric Dugas of Brewster, Mass., and Ed Kirby of Wakefield, R.I., tied for third at 210. Gallo took home the $9,000 first-place check.

Shawn Warren of Cape Elizabeth was the top Maine golfer and tied fof fifth place at 211, while Mike Baker of Casco (217) tied for 13th and J.J. Harris of Bath (218) tied for 15th.

Yankees place injured Jeter back on DL

New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was placed on the 15-day disabled list with an injured ankle, the Major League Baseball team said on Wednesday, effectively ending his season.

The move, which was made retroactive to Sunday, all but ends an injury-hit campaign for the Yankees captain who played just 17 games this season as he recovered from two ankle surgeries.

New York will have just four games remaining on their 162-game schedule when Jeter is eligible to come off the injury list but it is expected the Yankees will shut down the 13-time All-Star for the rest of the season.

Jeter first injured his left ankle in Game One of last year’s American League Championship Series but underwent a second operation in April.

NASCAR probes Logano, Gilliland

NASCAR is investigating whether Joey Logano received help in order to make the Chase for the Cup.

According to USA Today, Logano’s Penske Racing team might have cut a deal with Front Row Motorsports and David Gilliland at Richmond on Saturday night to help Logano better his position. Penske and Front Row are both Ford teams and considered partners.

USA Today released radio communication between the two teams, which indicates Gilliland’s spotter passing along a request to let Logano pass him on the closing laps and hopefully being rewarded.

After Logano passed Gilliland on the final restart to finish 22nd and land a spot in the Chase, the spotter is heard saying, “Good job, good job, man. Hopefully we’ll get something out of that.”

NASCAR released a statement on Wednesday saying that it is aware of the reports “but has yet to see anything in full context that requires any action.”

Colts’ Irsay makes ‘demand’ on Twitter

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is on Twitter again, this time calling out the team’s pass protection and saying he demands a better performance.

Irsay was not happy after quarterback Andrew Luck was sacked four times by the Oakland Raiders during last Sunday’s victory. This week, the Colts face a Miami Dolphins defense that had six sacks against the Cleveland Browns.

“Raider/Colts — we gotta protect #12 better..and that includes more than just OL…it’s backs, TE’s, coaches on blitz pick ups..I DEMAND better,” Irsay tweeted.

Asked Wednesday about the owner’s tweets, Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he wasn’t surprised.

Luck was sacked 41 times last year.

Report: Suh to appeal $100K fine

Ndamukong Suh will appeal the $100,000 fine levied against him by the NFL for unnecessary roughness on his blindside hit to the knees of Minnesota Vikings center John Sullivan on Sunday, according to multiple reports.

The Detroit Lions defensive lineman received the largest fine without a suspension ever given for an on-field violation when NFL vice president of football operations Merton Hanks announced the penalty on Monday.

Suh’s agents are basing their appeal on what they believe was an excessive amount of the fine, ESPN.com reported.

Sullivan was not seriously injured on the play that resulted in a personal foul penalty against Suh. He hopes to play Sunday.

Suh has a history of dirty play. The NFL has fined him five times in three seasons for hits, many of them on quarterbacks. The most recent fine was $30,000 for kicking Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin area.

Blackhawks sign Bowman to extension

Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman was rewarded with a two-year contract extension through the 2017-18 season.

Bowman was promoted to general manager in 2009 and led the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup in 2010 and 2013. The Blackhawks added the title of vice president in 2010.

Bowman is the youngest general manager in the NHL and the first general manager to win multiple championships since the NHL instituted a salary cap in 2005. The Blackhawks rank third in regular-season wins (177) and second in postseason wins (37) since Bowman took over the club’s hockey operations department.

Heat, Beasley agree to one-year deal

Michael Beasley is heading back to Miami where he started his NBA career after being drafted by the Heat in 2008.

The Heat and Beasley, who was released by the Phoenix Suns this offseason, agreed to a one-year nonguaranteed contract on Wednesday, the Miami Herald reported.

With the Suns last season, Beasley averaged 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds per game — both career lows. He has averaged 14.1 points per game during his career.

The Suns released Beasley after he was arrested for possession of marijuana. The 24-year-old also remains under investigation in a sexual assault case in Scottsdale, Ariz., according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

The 6-foot-10 Beasley was the second overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Hurricanes lose Pitkanen for season

The Carolina Hurricanes learned Wednesday at the start of training camp that defenseman Joni Pitkanen will miss the 2013-14 season because of a lingering injury.

Pitkanen sustained a broken bone in a heel on April 2 during a game against the Washington Capitals when he slid into the boards. The heel has not healed sufficiently during the offseason.

Losing the 29-year-old veteran is considered a major blow for the Hurricanes. He is in the final year of a contract that will count $4.5 million against the team’s salary cap.

Injuries have limited Pitkanen to 55 games the past two years. He has been with the Hurricanes for the past five seasons after playing for the Philadelphia Flyers and Edmonton Oilers. His career totals include 57 goals and 225 assists in 535 regular-season games.

Williams out as Grambling coach

After starting the season with an 0-2 record, Grambling fired coach Doug Williams on Wednesday, The News-Star reported in Monroe, La.

Williams told the newspaper that university president Frank Pogue summoned him to his office and gave him a pink slip. The Tigers are coming off a 48-10 loss to FBS Louisiana-Monroe last Saturday.

The former NFL quarterback played for legendary coach Eddie Robinson at Grambling in the 1970s and replaced Robinson after his retirement in 1997. Williams left the head coaching job after the 2003 season to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ personnel department, but he returned to the school in 2011.

Under Williams, Grambling had a 62-33 record and won four Southwestern Athletic Conference championships. The most recent title was in 2011. However, the Tigers slipped to 1-10 last season.

Williams’ son, D.J., is the team’s starting quarterback.

Broncos’ Miller cited in traffic stop

Suspended Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller continues to run into trouble off the field.

The latest incident involves a citation for driving without a license and speeding near his home last week, Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson told CBS4 in Denver on Tuesday night.

Robinson said Miller was not arrested after the traffic stop. His father, who was in the vehicle with him, was allowed to drive Miller home.

The 24-year-old Miller is serving a six-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Browns’ Mingo cleared for contact

Cleveland Browns rookie outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo was cleared for contact and was on the practice field with the team Wednesday.

Mingo had been doing only light running since he suffered a bruised lung against the Detroit Lions in the second preseason game.

If he passes the team’s tests this week in practice, Mingo will make his NFL debut Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Mingo, the sixth overall pick in the 2013 draft, would be part of the rotation of pass rushers with Jabaal Sheard and Paul Kruger in Cleveland’s 3-4 defense.

49ers claim Osgood, put Moody on IR

The San Francisco 49ers signed wide receiver Kassim Osgood to a one-year contract and placed linebacker Nick Moody on injured reserve-designated for return, the team announced Wednesday.

The 6-foot-5 Osgood was with the 49ers during the offseason and training camp before he was released on Aug. 31. He has earned two All-Pro and three Pro Bowl selections while playing in 152 games during his 10-year career.

In addition to 122 special-teams tackles, Osgood also has 44 career receptions for 749 yards and five touchdowns.

Moody will not be eligible to practice with the team for at least six weeks and cannot be activated for a minimum of eight weeks.

Reds’ Cueto willing to go to bullpen

Cincinnati Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto is open to pitching out of the bullpen when he returns to the mound once he recovers from a lat injury.

“I’ll do whatever they want,” Cueto said, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Cueto threw 60 pitches to live hitters on Wednesday before the Reds played the Cubs in Great American Ball Park. He has made just nine starts this season because of injuries. The last came June 28.

The Reds will wait to see how Cueto feels on Thursday before making any decisions. Cueto is 4-2 with a 3.33 ERA in 48 2/3 innings this season. All of his 158 career appearances with the Reds have come as a starter.

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports