June 22, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Elderly Brunswick woman burned in Wednesday fire dies

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff

BRUNSWICK, Maine — A 91-year-old Brunswick woman burned in a kitchen fire on Wednesday died Monday at Maine Medical Center.

Harriet Soulen of 14 Beech Drive died Monday night of burns suffered in the blaze, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Tuesday morning.

Soulen was severely burned when her clothing caught fire while she was cooking food on the stove, according to the state fire marshal’s office.

Brunswick firefighters responded to a LifeLine alert shortly before 6 p.m. Wednesday and found smoke spilling from the garage, as well as out the front door of Soulen’s home, Deputy Chief Don Koslosky of the Brunswick Fire Department said at the time. The fire was contained to the kitchen and an entryway, and was knocked down quickly with minimal damage to the house.

Soulen lived alone, according to McCausland. A neighbor who responded to the fire suffered burns to the hand when he tried to help Soulen, McCausland said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like