May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy


Bangor Daily News Photo by Carroll Hall | BDN
Bangor Daily News Photo by Carroll Hall | BDN
PICTURE FROM THE PAST Here is the first contingent of young men who signed up under the Reserve Forces Act of 1955, leaving Union Station in Bangor for Ft. Knox, Ky., on Sunday, July 8, 1956. They will serve six months on active duty and then do seven and one-half years in the Army Reserves. Leaving Bangor are (front, from left) David A. Thomas, Caribou; Ronald H. Brangwynne, Old Town; Dennis W. Mahoney, Clifton; Arthur D. Upton, Brewer, Howard F. Folster, Great Works; Ronald R. Dionne, Old Town; and William A. Chesson, East Millinocket; (rear, from left) Edmond L. Thibodeau, Old Town; Ray N. Clark, Ellsworth; Vernon R. Crane and Paul L. Campbell, East Corinth; and William C. LaFlamme, Old Town.


10 years ago — Sept. 5, 2003

(As reported in the Bangor Daily News)

BUCKSPORT — He keeps coming back. It’s not just for the money, but for the love of the job.

Henry Dean, 77, of Bucksport has been raking blueberries off and on since 1949. He has raked berries every year for Jasper Wyman and Son since 1980.

He is officially retired, but even as the season winds down, Dean has every intention of returning to the Wyman blueberry barrens for years to come. Blueberries have been a part of Dean’s life for more than 50 years.

BANGOR — Dan O’Connell admits he had some preconceived notions about John Bapst Memorial High School when he was a standout football player at Bangor High School and Bates College in Lewiston.

Then he took the assistant coaching post of the private school last fall. O’Connell is now the Crusaders’ fifth football head coach since 1998, but he’s hoping to end that turnover trend.


25 years ago — Sept. 5, 1988

BANGOR — The renewal of Bangor’s Grotto Cascade Park will be celebrated by ceremonies and festivities on Labor Day.

The Save Our Cascade Park committee group of Bangor residents worked all summer to raise the $160,000 needed to refurbish the park and restore its beauty. To date, $100,000 has been raised.

Fanfare and superlatives accompanied the opening of the park 54 years ago in 1934. “A year ago the land on outer State Street adjoining the Water Works was an unsightly, low swampy piece of ground,” said a newspaper account of the time. “Today it is a veritable Arabian Nights fairyland where one can sit, dream away an hour or two while watching by night the beauties of the park, the spurting colors of the fountain that at times leaps upward to the sky, then blends again into the misty gem, the flowing changing rainbow colors of the waterfalls rushing down over the miniature mountain side  …”

In the early 1970s the park sank into disrepair and hard times were wrought by fiscal neglect.

HAMPDEN — The Crazy Cruiser River Run, a boat parade from Hampden Marina to Bangor harbor, attracted 20 boats and crews and large crowds of spectators. The procession lasted about an hour. A float boat representing Bangor Creative Playground won the Sponsor’s Choice Award. Aboard were Richard Ade, Richie Ade, Alan Paradis, Quinn Paradis and Dave Parker.

The craft judged to be the most deserving to be sunk carried Roger Griffith, Carol Stevens and David Sands.

Judges decided the most attractive boat in the parade belonged to the Penobscot Valley Chapter of the Sweet Adelines.

The best-costumed captain and crew, the judges decided, was a Christmas boat, captained by Brad Collins in a Santa suit.


50 years ago — Sept. 5, 1963

BANGOR — Cortell-Segal’s has just completed an extensive renovation of its second floor at its new location, 115 Main St.

The main sales area for junior and misses dresses, coats, suits and knits is finished in a soft shade of green with yellow accents. Tearose pink is carried through a most attractive display area and into the office.

There is a separate bridal and formal room with its own stock area and this is decorated in pastel pink. The entire floor is covered with wall-to-wall carpeting including the 12 dressing rooms. Floor columns are completely mirrored.

BANGOR — Miss Tak Ching Man of Hong Kong recently traveled by way of Anchorage, Alaska; Seattle, Wash.; and San Francisco to Bangor to attend the 50th wedding anniversary of her sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Quoy Wong, 209 Exchange St. It is the first time she has seen her sister in 16 years and the first time in 50 years that she has seen her brother-in-law.

Miss Man said Maine makes her feel at home. She likes the trees especially and is amazed at the abundance of water here.

Miss Man was born in Canton, China, in June 1896. She is a registered nurse and worked in her profession for 40 years, retiring in 1953. She delivers babies for good friends and sits with her friends who are ill.

BANGOR — City Building Inspector Guy MacCrae reported that $581,400 worth of building permits were issued during August in Bangor. Among those listed is construction of a new humane society building for housing 75 animals, on the south side of Mount Hope Avenue between Hogan Road and outer State Street, estimated at $30,000. This would be of concrete and brick construction, 20 by 62 feet.


100 years ago — Sept. 5, 1913

BANGOR — The NEWS is presenting to its readers “Panama and the Canal in Picture and Prose.” The book, written by Willis J. Abbot, is bound in tropical red vellum cloth with the title stamped in gold and inlaid with a beautiful color panel showing the famous Culebra cut. The book acquaints readers with the people of Panama and the Canal Zone.

Daily newspapers throughout the United States and Canada are making distribution of the book for six certificates clipped from the newspaper.

NORTH BUCKSPORT — Mrs. A.P. Baker gave a porch party for the Ideal Club at Fern Hame. The broad veranda which commands one of the grandest views along the river was profusely decorated with ferns and potted plants. While the ladies busied themselves with many varieties of beautiful needlework, Mrs. William A. Walsh of Long Island City, N.Y., gave several humorous readings.

ORONO — Mrs. L.A. Marquis has gone to Boston and New York to attend the annual millinery displays.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like