June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | John Bapst | Medicaid Expansion | Family Separations

Driver eludes Veazie police

By Nick McCrea, BDN Staff

VEAZIE, Maine — Veazie police are working to obtain a warrant to arrest a Hermon woman who allegedly led officers on a dangerous pursuit through Veazie and Bangor on Wednesday afternoon.

Authorities from Veazie and the Maine State Police chased the woman but called off their pursuits because she was driving recklessly, weaving in and out of traffic and narrowly avoiding serious accidents, Veazie police Officer Brian Sirois said Wednesday night. Police say they know who the woman is but are not releasing her name because she has not yet been arrested and is not yet charged with a crime.

Sirois said that when the woman is arrested, she will face charges of eluding a police officer, driving to endanger, violation of bail conditions, operating after suspension of her license, criminal speeding and failure to register a motor vehicle.

Veazie police Officer Roger Hershey was sitting in his cruiser across from Veazie Congregational Church on Route 2 around 3:45 p.m. Wednesday when he saw a brown Saturn with an expired registration traveling toward Bangor, Sirois said.

Hershey turned to follow and attempted to pull over the vehicle, but the driver reportedly accelerated to more than 60 mph in a 35 mph zone. Hershey pursued the driver onto Mount Hope and then onto Hogan Road, where the driver narrowly missed striking another vehicle in the intersection, according to Sirois.

The drive proceeded to “dangerously weave in and out of traffic,” making her way to Interstate 95, where she turned left and began heading south, Sirois said.

She reportedly continued to dodge other vehicles, speeding up to 110 mph on the busy roadway. At that point, around the time the pursuit reached the bridge that passes over the Kenduskeag Stream, Hershey decided to call off his pursuit to prevent a serious crash.

Farther down the interstate, state police picked up the pursuit in hopes of boxing the driver in. Troopers got close enough to see the driver, who matched the description of the woman to whom the vehicle had been registered. State police soon decided it was too dangerous to continue the chase and called off their own pursuit, according to Sirois.

More information likely will be available Thursday morning, the officer said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like