June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Bangor police investigate Labor Day stabbing on Pine Street

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Police on Monday night were investigating the stabbing of a 32-year-old man at a Pine Street apartment.

The man was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center with an abdominal wound, Detective Sgt. Paul Kenison said. The detective told reporters about 8 p.m. that he did not know the man’s condition but said he was undergoing treatment at the Bangor hospital.

Kenison said that no arrests had been made in connection with the stabbing.

The detective said that he expected more information would be released Tuesday.

Police responded about 5 p.m. to 209 Pine St. in Bangor to a report of an altercation, he said. Kenison also said he did not know if the stabbing was reported to a dispatcher.

A man who lives in the same building as the victim but who did not identify himself said the victim’s name is Mark Mayhew. The neighbor also said that Mayhew lived in the building.

Kenison would not confirm the victim’s name. He also said that he did not know if the victim lived at the apartment where he was stabbed or was visiting.

The detective said that police were investigating the events that led up to the stabbing but were not able to release information Monday night.

Kenison described Pine Street as “usually a very quiet street.”

“We don’t believe this was a random act,” he said when asked if neighbors should be concerned for their safety.

Stephanie Edison, who lives across the street from where the stabbing occurred, said that she heard yelling from the apartment house about 4:30 p.m.

“I heard someone yell, ‘I want my [expletive] keys back to the house,’” she said. “Then, I saw that [the victim’s] dog was loose. It was obviously frightened and scared and started to wander off.”

Edison said she followed the dog to a nearby store, and called police to see if animal control would pick it up. Before they arrived, a person who identified himself as a friend of the owner took the dog, she said.

Kenison said that evidence technicians most likely would wrap up their work at the scene before midnight.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like