View Rockland, Me. in a larger map
ROCKLAND, Maine — A minivan was destroyed by fire Wednesday morning on a busy section of Camden Street (Route 1).
The owner of the 1997 minivan, Maggie Robinson of Waldoboro, said she was driving northbound at about 7 a.m. when she saw smoke coming from under the hood. She pulled the vehicle over onto the side of the road, across from a McDonald’s restaurant.
Shortly after, the van — which she said she named Bertha — burst into flames.
There were no injuries. Robinson said she was relieved that she parked the van away from other vehicles or buildings.
Rockland fire department crews arrived within a few minutes and quickly extinguished the flames. Fire Chief Charles Jordan said an inspection of the vehicle determined that the box holding the battery had rusted out and the battery fell against the engine, sparking the blaze.
The road was briefly blocked as firefighters put out the fire but was reopened within several minutes.