WINTERPORT, Maine — Authorities said they were still waiting Tuesday afternoon for a local man to turn himself in to police after he was indicted last week on multiple charges relating to the sexual abuse of a child.
David Hyatt, 74, of Winterport will be arraigned as soon as he’s arrested, Waldo County Deputy District Attorney Eric Walker said Tuesday. His bail already has been set at $10,000 cash or $50,000 real estate surety.
According to the indictments handed down by the Waldo County grand jury, Hyatt is charged with unlawful sexual contact with one male victim beginning in 2006, when the victim was 6 years old. The abuse evidently ended in 2010. Altogether, Hyatt was charged with 15 counts of unlawful sexual contact and one count of visual sexual aggression against a child.
Walker said that the victim disclosed the abuse earlier this year to a family member and then to authorities in Florida, where he now lives. Police there contacted Maine State Police, and the victim was interviewed in Florida about what he said happened to him when he was younger.
Hyatt’s defense attorney, Rick Hartley of Bangor, told authorities that his client would turn himself in by the end of this week, Walker said.