SKOWHEGAN, Maine — Fire crews were able to extinguish a fire at Gifford’s Famous Ice Cream early Tuesday afternoon. The fire started from sparks from a saw, according to Skowhegan Fire Chief Tom Keene.
Workers were removing metal roofing from the Gifford’s building at 25 Hathaway St. on Tuesday when sparks from a steel cutting blade ignited materials in the attic area, Hathaway said.
Fire crews received the call at 12:25 p.m. and the fire was extinguished at 12:48 p.m., he said. The Skowhegan Fire Department cleared the scene at 1:18 p.m.
“Some of their personnel were trying to apply water from a garden hose and that kept it from advancing very far,” said Keene.
Keene called the damage moderate, adding that insulation and a ceiling in the area of the fire will need to be replaced.
One Gifford’s employee was treated for smoke inhalation and one Skowhegan firefighter was treated for dehydration. Both were treated at the scene.
Keene said Gifford’s gave firefighters some Fly Fishing Fudge ice cream before they left.
“It’s delicious,” he said.
The Madison Fire Department was on standby at Skowhegan’s station.