BANGOR, Maine — The Orono man accused of kidnapping and killing 15-year-old Nichole Cable of Glenburn had contacted other young girls through the same fake Facebook account he used to communicate with Cable, according to court documents released Friday.
Kyle Dube, 20, is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home on the night of May 12 by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in an abduction gone wrong. Dube said he planned to kidnap the girl, hide her, then find her and play the hero.
Cable died of “asphyxia due to compression of the neck,” according to the state medical examiner’s office. The teenager’s body was found May 20 in a wooded area of Old Town after Dube’s girlfriend and brother told police where Dube said he had left the girl’s body, according to court documents.
Kyle Dube, 20, pleaded not guilty June 19 to one count each of kidnapping and murder in connection with Cable’s death on Mother’s Day. Last month, he was indicted on felony burglary and theft charges by a Penobscot County grand jury in connection with the January theft of a gun from a Kenduskeag home.
Additional documents released on Friday stated that Cable was not the only girl Dube was contacting through a phony Facebook account he set up using the name and information of a Bangor High School student who knew Cable casually.
“During the course of the investigation records were obtained from Facebook indicating that the fake Bryan Butterfield account was used to make contact with several young females in the Bangor area to include Cable,” Detective Rick Canarr of the Penobscot County’s Sheriff’s Department wrote in one of several affidavits filed on May 15.
“The other girls involved provided investigators their Facebook account addresses and passwords,” Canarr wrote. He did not indicate how old the other girls were or how many Dube had been in contact with.
The documents made public on Friday were affidavits in support of warrants to search Dube’s parents’ home at 5 Maplewood Drive in Orono, vehicles kept at the residence and to seize and search electronic equipment including cellphones and computers. Authorities also obtained search warrants allowing them access to Dube’s Internet service and cellular service provider’s records.
Also on Friday, Dube’s defense attorney, Stephen Smith, confirmed that a psychological evaluation he requested in June to determine if Dube is competent to stand trial is now underway. He declined, however, to say where it is being conducted.
Smith previously expressed concern for Dube’s safety after threats to his client’s life were circulated on the Internet.
Earlier this week, family and friends of the slain teenager marked what would have been her 16th birthday with private observances.
To find the Orono man competent, a judge would have to conclude by a preponderance of the evidence that Dube understands the nature of the charges, comprehends his own condition in relation to those charges and the consequences of a conviction, and is able to assist in his own defense, according to a previous report from the Bangor Daily News archives.
If found not competent to stand trial, Dube could be committed to Riverview Psychiatric Center in Augusta until restored to competency to stand trial. If he could not be restored to competency, Dube could enter a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.
If found guilty of kidnapping and murder, Dube would face 25 years to life in prison on the murder charge alone. If found not guilty by reason of insanity, he would be committed to Riverview until he is deemed not to be a risk to society.