WELLS, Maine — It appears the long-awaited harbor dredge — threatened last week after word that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services might hold it up for threatening the piping plovers — will go forward.
“As of today, the USFWS has all of the required information for completing the consult for the project,” said Laury Zicari, field supervisor for the Maine Field Office of USFWS, on Aug. 8. “We are very pleased with the responsiveness of the Army Corps of Engineers and we are full speed ahead.”
According to Wells Selectman Bob Foley, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services in July sent a letter to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers requesting a full environmental impact study before it would give its final approval for the dredge to be completed.
Foley said last week that a full environmental impact study would take at least six months to complete and, in order to utilize the $3.5 million the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has set aside for the dredge, the work must be completed by April 1, 2014. He said the dredge would not be able to completed by that date if a full environmental impact study was required.
Zicari has set a deadline of Aug. 20 for completion of the consult. Once that is complete, then the ACOE can put a request for the bid out. The original timeline had the ACOE putting a bid out in July with a start date of Sept. 15.