HAMPDEN, Maine — Hampden will hold its 34th annual Children’s Day celebration Saturday, Aug, 17. The schedule of events for the day is:
• Hampden Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast, 7-9 a.m.
• Craig Thomas McBean Memorial 5K Walk and Run, 8:45 a.m. Children’s 5th annual Fun Run, 8:30 a.m. Registration, 7:30 a.m.
• Book reading and signing with Kelly Brooks, author of “The Rainbow Pants,” Highland Pre-school, 29 Kennebec Road, 9-10 a.m.
• Bike Decorating, soccer field behind Reed Brook Middle School, 9:30 a.m.
• Parade lineup, Reeds Brook Middle School, 10 a.m.
• Parade, 11 a.m. Parade begins at Reeds Brook Middle School and goes to the junction of Routes 9 and 202. Parade marshals are third-grader Jagger Thayer, winner of the Children’s Day Poster Contest, and fifth-grader Emily Briggs, winner of the Children’s Day Theme Competition.
In the afternoon these are some of the events and activities for children will take place at Weatherbee School:
• Obstacle course.
• Maine Discovery Museum.
• Pictures with Penobscot Princesses.
• Become a Sheriff.
• Wild Roundup.
• Pony rides.
• Hippy Go Lucky Hoops.
• Iris Scanning and Mobile Crime Unit.
• ME CHIP.
• Health Active Living.
• Arts and crafts.
• Break a Board.
• Granite State Zoo.
• Face painting.
• Kiwanis Quarter Booth games.
• Car seat safety and fireworks safety.
• Hannaford healthy eating information.
• Cub Scouts information.
• Boy Scouts information.
Most activities are free, but some have a small fee or a donation is recommended.
Events scheduled to take place in the Weatherbee Gym are:
• Top Hat Dancers, 2:30 p.m.
• Planetarium show, every half-hour, 12:30-3:30 p.m. Star Stories, The Wonderful Sky and World of Dinosaurs.
• Ninja Recital, 2-3 p.m.
• Midnight Rose band, 7-8:15 p.m.
• Ribbons and awards announced, 8:15-8:30 p.m.
• Children’s Day fireworks, 8:30-9 p.m.
• Midnight Rose Band, dance or listen, 9-10 p.m.
Food available for the day will include hamburgers, cheeseburgers, french fries, doughboys and lemonade with proceeds benefitting Hampden Children’s Day; hot dogs, sandwiches, chips and desserts from members of the Hampden VFW Auxiliary; and rootbeer floats and whoopie pies provided by the Hampden Highlands United Methodist Church.
Volunteers are needed for cleanup at 8 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 18.
Orgnaizers of Hampden Children’s Day said they receive support from SAD 22, Hampden Kiwanis Club, Hampden Electric, Bangor Savings Bank, Smile Docs of Brewer, Dead River Company, Hampden Recreation Department, Harold’s Logging, Hampden Town Council, Darling’s, Whitcomb-Baker VFW Post and Auxiliary, Maine Savings Federal Credit Union, Crawford’s Import Auto Inc., St. Joseph Healthcare, Katahdin Trust Company, Anglers Restaurant, Eastern Maine Healthcare, PenBay Computer Systems Inc., Hannaford, Goodwin Glass and Graphics, Hampden Public Safety, Hampden Public Works, H.O. Bouchard Inc., Atlas PyroVision Productions, Lane Construction, Eric Dashiell and Hampden Redemption.
Organizers also said that the custodial staff of Weatherbee School also do much to make the event a success.