Honduras man to spend over four years in prison on immigration charge

Posted Aug. 02, 2013, at 3:29 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A Honduras man will spend the next four years and nine months behind bars after he was sentenced on an immigration charge Friday.

Mauro Edulio Jimenaz-Banegas, 47, was sentenced in U.S. District Court by Chief Judge John Woodcock Jr., according to U.S. Attorney Todd Lowell.

Court documents stated that a Maine Warden Service game warden saw a parked vehicle in Stratton in July 2012 with no license plate. Two men, including Banegas, were found in the vehicle.

Identification produced by Banegas appeared to be from Honduras, and the U.S. Border Patrol was called in for assistance.

Banegas told the agent he was a citizen of Honduras, Lowell said, and he did not have any documentation that permitted Banegas to work, travel or live in the United States.

Lowell said Banegas has been deported from the U.S. at least twice. He also had been convicted of a sex offense in Washington, D.C., in 2004, to which he pled guilty in November 2012.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor